Sunday, March 24, 2019

Trauma Informed Article of the Week, March 25

Self-Care Tips for Teachers: How-to Feel Refreshed After Spring Break

Tami Hackbarth

Tip #1 Don’t over schedule yourself.


Allow for down time to just hang out and do nothing. I know it is tempting to try to catch up on some grading or planning or housework, but don’t forget to take time for yourself.

Tip #2 Sleep a little more at night.


My own sleep is much more restful in the hours before midnight so I try to get as many of those as possible. That may be because I get up ridiculously early with my daughter, but whatever. I try to be in bed by nine and asleep by 10. I know, I’m an early bird! However you stock up on your own sleep, please do. The more the merrier when it comes to sleep!

Tip #3 Nap during the day or practice some restorative yoga.


It has been said restorative yoga can feel more refreshing than taking a nap.

https://www.yogajournal.com/poses/types/restorative

Tip #4 Take time away from working/computer/screens and step into nature.


The NY Times explains the science behind what we already instinctively know: a break from technology is a good thing.

You don’t have to go far – the backyard, a local park or lake –  just take your shoes off, lay a blanket on the grass and look up at the sky.

Tip #5 Exercise.


Sometime this is the first thing to go when things at work get busy, so while on break take advantage of this extra time to take care of yourself. Exercise is nature’s antidepressant.

Maybe you check out a class usually out of reach because you are at work. Now’s the time to try that morning Zumba, weight lifting or ballet class. Why not try some Pilates or kickboxing? Or just grab your shoes and a friend and head out for a leisurely stroll around your neighborhood. Instead of driving to your coffee date, dust off your bike and cruise on over.

Tip #6 Connect with friends or family.


It’s during school breaks that I get to go out to lunch. Oh how I miss this during the year. So if you are like me and love a leisurely midday meal with a friend or close family member, get it on the schedule now.

Source: teachergoesbacktoschool.org

No comments:

Post a Comment